Friday, August 24, 2012

October 4th 1858


Oct 4th 1858 Home

Calls for the week: Monday night, Messers Decker and Hopkins. Wednesday night, Decker and Quimby, Friday night, Decker and Quimby besides Mr Decker coming twice home with Allie to keep the rain off of her and Saturday, Jo R and Moses. To day Allie and I went twice to church but was so sleepy we could not keep awake so we took a nap in the afternoon. I shall remember Saturday night some little time and all that was said on the sofa in the parlor. I have written that some many time and in the last year will all of sceanes? be remembered! My heart answeres they will and many times in the lapse of years be they years of sorrow or of joy I will think of these happy sceans (scenes) in this my happy girlhood home and of the many Sunday nights also. For always on the quite (quiet) sabbath evening I think of the past and I always silently thank my Heavenly Father for dealing so gently with so wicked a creature as I. And for leaving her her earthly comforters, her parents, while he takes away so many others. No one know that beneath a careless exterior I hid(e) a warm and loving heart and those that I I love dearly will Our Father in heaven guide me softly through life and when I at last sleep my last sleep, may I join my Brother in Heaven.
 
Editor's note: Her brother Elihu Wheeler Kirby died at 7 years of age in 1852. Mary was 13 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment